How to use disappearing messages
Activate RCS chat
* Tap the three dots in the top right corner.
* Go to Settings > Chat features.
* Enable Chat features.
Initiate a conversation
Engage vanishing mode
* Tap the plus sign (+) next to the text field.
* Select Turn on disappearing messages.
* Choose a duration: 1 hour, 24 hours, or 7 days.
Compose and send
* Tap the Send button.
Witness the disappearance
* Your message will vanish from both your device and the recipient’s device after the selected duration.
* A timer icon will appear next to messages set to disappear.
Important things to keep in mind
* Recipients can still take screenshots or copy the message before it disappears.
* Disappearing messages won’t prevent sharing of content outside of the conversation.
* If someone leaves the conversation, messages they sent won’t disappear from your device.
* If you can’t see the disappearing message option, check if your device and carrier support RCS chat.
* Updates to Google Messages may change the specific steps slightly.
Q: What is the disappearing message feature in Google Messages?
A: The disappearing message feature allows you to set a timer for your messages to automatically disappear from the conversation after a set amount of time.
Q: Why would I want to use disappearing messages?
A: Disappearing messages can be useful for sharing sensitive information or keeping your chats private. It ensures that your messages won’t be permanently stored or seen by others.
Q: How do I activate RCS chat?
A: To activate RCS chat, open Google Messages, tap the three dots in the top right corner, go to Settings > Chat features, and enable Chat features.